Video & Audio Presentations
- Muddy conditions reduce hygiene and lying time in dairy cattle and increase time spent on concrete
Elsevier Audioslides or YouTube (4:03)
Author presentation to accompany paper in Journal of Dairy Science. July 2, 2017.
- Comparison of instantaneous sampling and continuous observation of dairy cattle behavior in freestall housing
Elsevier Audioslides or YouTube (4:59)
Author presentation to accompany paper in Journal of Dairy Science. September 2, 2016.
- Cooling cows efficiently with water spray: Behavioral, physiological, and production responses to sprinklers at the feed bunk
Elsevier Audioslides or YouTube (4:22)
Author presentation to accompany paper in Journal of Dairy Science. May 17, 2016.
- Cooling dairy cows efficiently with sprinklers: Behavioral, physiological, and production responses to water spray
Adobe Connect Video (47:57)
Seminar in Department of Animal Science, University of California, Davis. February 22, 2016.
- Understanding dairy cow behavior to reduce heat load and conserve water YouTube (1:00:42)
Exit Seminar for Animal Behavior Graduate Group, University of California, Davis. April 3, 2015.
- Jennifer M. Chen, Grazyne Tresoldi, and Cassandra B. Tucker. May, 2016. Enfriamiento eficiente de vacas lecheras en condiciones de calor (Efficient cooling of dairy cows in hot conditions). Albéitar 196:12-14.
- Jennifer M. Chen, Grazyne Tresoldi, and Cassandra B. Tucker. July, 2014. Are your cows hot? Hoard’s Dairyman Magazine. (Also in Spanish: September, 2014)
- Jennifer M. Chen and Cassandra B. Tucker. October, 2014. Water costs: Soaker nozzle type affects water use, but not cow cooling. California Dairy Magazine.
- Jennifer M. Chen and Cassandra B. Tucker. July, 2014. Soaker nozzle type affects water use, but not cow cooling. California Dairy Newsletter – University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources 6:5-6.
- New UW-Madison Dairy Science professor looks at animal welfare
Article in The Country Today. April 23, 2018.
- New faculty profile: Jennifer Van Os specializes in animal welfare
Interview by eCALS, University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Agricultural & Life Sciences. May 14, 2018.
- Dr. Jennifer Van Os – UW Madison Extension Specialist Animal Welfare
Radio interview on WAXX 104.5, Talkin’ With Bob & Kristin. April 20, 2018.
- Researchers look at ins and outs of potty training calves
Interview by The Western Producer. March 23, 2017.
- Using low-flow cooling systems can reduce water use without compromising animal welfare
Press release for Journal of Dairy Science. May 16, 2016.
(Distributed via ScienceDaily, AAAS EurekAlert!, ADSA Dair-e-News, Phys.org, AlphaGalileo, Health Medicine Network)
- Researchers help dairy farmers cool cows more efficiently, use less water
Article in Science News, United Press International. May 16, 2016.
(Distributed via SeedDaily)
- Cooling cows efficiently with water spray
Article in (e) Science News. May 16, 2016.
- Study of cow soakers looks at how to cut down on water
Feature in AgAlert: The Weekly Newspaper for California Agriculture by Dennis Pollock. May 27, 2015.
- Recognizing Cow Heat Stress & How Much Water to Apply Through Soakers
Interview with California Ag Network (YouTube video, 2:39). April 22, 2015.
- Manifestazioni comportamentali legate allo stress da caldo (Behavioral signs of heat stress).
Article in Mastitis Council Italia. February 25, 2015.